Save over £13 at Shakespeare's Globe Theatre
Shakespeare's Globe Theatre
London Pass benefits:
Free entry to Shakespeare's Globe Theatre with The London Pass
Normal Ticket Price: Adult: £13.50 Child: £8.00
Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre is an open-air playhouse built as a reconstruction of the building where the great playwright penned many of his plays. The Shakespeare's Globe Theatre Tour and Exhibition introduces visitors to all aspects of the Globe, historical and contemporary, including Sam Wannamaker's epic struggle to recreate the theatre from the 1599 original.
- Reconstruction of the original Elizabethan playhouse built In 1599
- Authentic timber frame building with an open-air stage
- To maintain the true sense of a Shakespearean play and experience, there are no spotlights, microphones, speakers or amplification and all music is performed live on period instruments
Did you know:
- Shakespeare wrote 37 plays and 154 sonnets during his lifetime – this works out as an average 1.5 plays a year since he first started writing in 1589
- As well as being a playwright, Shakespeare was an accomplished actor, family man, property owner and manager of an acting company and theatre
- The original theatre burnt down in 1613 because of a miss-fired cannon during a Henry VIII performance
- His plays are associated with the Elizabethan times, yet most of his popular works were written in the Jacobean era
- Although he was a famous playwright in London, in his hometown of Stratford he was a well-known businessman and property owner
- At his grave in Stratford-upon-Avon, he put a curse on his epitaph daring anyone to move his bones to give way for more grave space, as was common at the time
There are a number of temporary and permanent exhibitions and galleries at the Globe throughout the year. Among these include ‘The Festival in Focus’, photographs of over 600s performers captured on stage, audience reactions and behind the scenes stories. Created by a group of leading theatre photographers it is an honest and insightful portfolio of the diverse and vibrant performances at the Globe.
Open air stage
The stage is open to the elements which can make drizzly performances in the summer even more exciting (no umbrellas allowed!) With a lack of spotlights, microphones and speakers you are encouraged to interact with the actors through realistic staging and authentic props. The seating consists of covered wooden benches and the yard is standing only.
Sam Wannamaker Theatre
The Sam Wannamaker Theatre is the site’s indoor Jacobean theatre, a simulacrum of the 16th century Blackfriars Theatre, on the opposite bank of the Thames. Having recently opened, it has a packed all-year-round programme including productions of Julius Caesar, Anthony & Cleopatra, A Bach Family Celebration and many more exhibitions and events.
How to get there:
- Southwark underground (jubilee line)
- Mansion House (district and circle lines)
- Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre is situated in zone 1 of the London Transport Network so your travel will be included in your package if you opt for The London Pass with Travel
Make the most of your London Pass:
- With a London Pass you can experience this stunning theatre and tour completely free, saving you £13.50
- Explore the Southbank for great views over the river
Closures: 12th October
Full List Of Attractions Included
"I would definitely recommend the pass. There were various places, i.e. the War Museum, Royal Mews, etc. that we would not have gone to if we didn't have the pass. We ended up seeing many more attractions since they were included, and spent much less on admissions than if we hadn't purchased the pass. Showing the pass also made entry easy."
Ernest from USA
|Late October to Early April|
|Monday||09.30 - 17.00|
|Tuesday||09.30 - 17.00|
|Wednesday||09.30 - 17.00|
|Thursday||09.30 - 17.00|
|Friday||09.30 - 17.00|
|Saturday||09.30 - 17.00|
|Sunday||09.30 - 17.00|
|Late April to Early October|
|Monday||09.00 - 17.00|
|Tuesday||09.00 - 12.30|
|Wednesday||09.00 - 12.30|
|Thursday||09.00 - 12.30|
|Friday||09.00 - 12.30|
|Saturday||09.00 - 12.30|
|Sunday||09.00 - 11.00|
Closed: 24th to 25th December. Opening Times are subject to change. Note: Tours depart every 30 minutes.
Loading Map - Please wait...
21 New Globe Walk, Bankside, London SE1 9DT ,
020 7902 1500